Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need a doctor’s referral?
No, you do not require a doctor’s referral to see a speech language pathologist. You can self refer in the private sector.

Do I need to bring my child to your office?
We offer a variety of different service delivery options. We provide assessment and treatment via tele-practice to individuals in Ontario and Quebec which does not require you to leave the comfort of your own home.  In Toronto, we provide home-based services. The in-home setting is familiar and comfortable for your child, and convenient for the whole family. In Montreal, we offer clinic visits.

Does my child need to see a speech-language pathologist?
If you have any concerns about your child’s speech and/or language, it is best to seek out the advice of a professional. Check out our blog for information on milestones across the ages.

At what age should my child be speaking?
The age and rate at which a child begins speaking can vary greatly. By eighteen months, many children have approximately 25 words, can understand simple instructions (i.e., “get your bear”) and can respond to simple WH-questions (i.e., “what’s your name?” or “where is the ball?”). By age two, a child typically has 100 words and is beginning to combine two words together. By age three, a child should be linking words together, asking WH-questions, following multi-step instructions, and be easily understood by others.

Will my child “out-grow” their speech and/or language disorder?
While some children may overcome their communication difficulties without intervention, it is not recommended to wait. If you have any concerns at all regarding your child’s speech and/or language, it is important to seek the opinion of a speech language pathologist. If there is a concern, then you will have already started the process of early identification and treatment. If there is no concern, then you can continue to monitor the development of your child without worry.

Do I need to sit with my child during their speech therapy?
The key to progress is regular practice, and regular practice is only possible with the involvement and encouragement of a caregiver. During our sessions, we provide ongoing coaching, demonstration of techniques as well as appropriate feedback and prompting. Watching us with your child will help you implement these goals between sessions and help support their progress even more.

What kind of payments do you accept?
We offer preauthorized debit (PAD) agreements for no-fuss automatic payments. Alternatively, payments can be made via e-transfer to [email protected] upon receipt of the invoice.

Do you work with adults?
We have limited offerings for adults who wish to correct their speech sounds.

Can you see my child at their school/daycare?
We are not offering school or daycare visits at this time. However, there is an option of seeing your child via Zoom during school hours, facilitated by the school administration. Please discuss this possibility with your child’s school and with your speech language pathologist.

Are your services covered by insurance plans?
If you have private insurance, you likely have some coverage for our services. Please be aware that we are unable to bill our services to your extended health plans directly.

Is there any funding available or are you covered by RAMQ or OHIP?
No, unfortunately private speech and language therapy services are not covered by RAMQ or OHIP, however, there are charities and government subsidies that provide financial assistance to qualifying families.